How to Get a Marriage License Online
It may seem strange, but it is possible to get a marriage license online. However, it is important to note that it may only be ordered as a substitute copy. You will still need to have an original registered license in the court system.
A marriage license is a legal identifying document. It is essentially the recognition of a couple’s right to get married.
So, if you’re looking for a copy of a marriage license, this is the information you’ll probably need.
Information Needed for Applying for Your Marriage License Online
In order to get a copy of a marriage license, you’ll need the following information:
• Applicant’s name
• Telephone number
• Order number or file number
• Date of marriage or issue date of license
Now, this is just a copy, or a transcript, of the marriage certificate. However, it does prove the legitimacy of the marriage.
So this works if you need to prove your marriage’s legitimacy (say, to the IRS), or you’re curious about the legitimacy of a claimed marriage (say, for genealogical research).
General Requirements to Get a Marriage License
Though marriage license laws vary from state to state, if a marriage is legally recognized in one state, all states must recognize the union (according to the Full Faith and Credit Clause of the United States Constitution).
A couple seeking a marriage license must fulfill these requirements:
• Man and woman are 18 or older, or have consent from parents or a judge
• Proof of vaccination for certain diseases
• Divorce or annulment documentation from any previous marriages
• The capacity to enter into a contract
• Must not be blood relatives
• A 1-5 day waiting period (the waiting period can be waived in some circumstances)
• A ceremony involving witnesses, a judge, minister, priest, or rabbi.
• Recording of the marriage license
• Consummation. Though consummation is not always required to recognize a marriage, a lack of consummation is usually sufficient grounds for annulment.
Other Ways to Acquire Marriage License Documentation
If you’re having troubles getting a copy of a marriage license in a certain state, then you might have to contact the county clerk’s office. You can request the documentation in person, by phone, or mail.
However, you should expect a longer wait. These offices are very busy.
If you are looking for a friend or relative’s documentation, then it might just be faster browsing through public records. Check out this site for your public record and marriage license research needs.