When you are seeking vital statistics in the United States, there are two basic ways to approach the subject. You can either seek paper copies, which take quite a bit of time, and effort or you can do an online search, which is quick and easy. The only real difference is the paper documents are official.
How to search vital statistics
Whether you are searching online or you are seeking the official copies, you will want to keep records of your search. It is also important to have a game plan to help you keep digging, so you can continue your search for more records until you finally find whom or what it is you are looking for.
- Divorce Records list the names of children from a marriage. This saves lots of time in a genealogy search.
- Death Records and obituaries may list surviving relatives of the deceased including the grandchildren.
Guidelines for submitting documents to vital statistics research
If you do choose to pay someone to search the through tons of records for you, then follow these general guidelines. They are the industry standard but as always be careful with whom you place your trust.
- Only make one or two request at one time.
- Include the full name, aliases, and alternate spelling of the names
- Include exact date or time span of the search
- Include a S.A.S.E (self addressed stamped envelope)
- Include what you are looking for but do not go into too much detail. The county needs to know what you are looking for but does not care why.
- Include a blank check and on the notes line write, “Not to exceed $10″ or however much you choose. It is acceptable to ask for an invoice.
- Be patient, as they have limited resources.
Searching Vital Statistics Online
Of course, you do not want to go through all the hassle of sending in the information and waiting for them to getting around to your request. Then hoping they will find something and then waiting for them to send you the information. You can always do the simple thing with a quick and easy vital statistics search online.
The results you find from a vital statistics search online won’t produce official paper documents like you get from the county, but most people don’t need them. When you are researching your ancestry, you just want to know who your relatives are. You can start your vital statistics research today online without the wait.